Biniyam, the star from 90 Day Fiance has applied for joint custody over his son Simon, who is the oldest child of a prior marriage.
Biniyam and Bria, a woman from the United States, married in June 2016, as reported previously. Bria, as reported by the couple, became pregnant a month after their marriage. After attending her sister’s wedding in the United States, she planned to return home to Ethiopia and give birth.
Bria’s child was found to have similar health issues to those Ariela experienced during her pregnancy. We wrote that during a routine ultrasound, her son was found to have the rare birth defect gastroschisis.
This meant that his intestines developed outside of his body. Doctors insisted that Bria did not return to Ethiopia after the diagnosis.
Biniyam received humanitarian parole, allowing him to travel to Iowa in time to witness the birth of his son — which was believed to have taken place in early February 2017. The help of an Iowa local lawmaker.
Bria and Biniyam were married in July 2017 in the United States. The couple will soon split up for good because he has to return to Ethiopia. Their divorce was finalized by April 2019, at least a month after Biniyam met Ariela.
Biniyam confessed on the show that since their divorce, he hadn’t seen Simon. The future professional MMA fighter is hoping that the courts can change this.
Biniyam filed an application to modify custody and establish parenting time on September 27, 2021. According to the complaint, Bria received full custody of Simon as part of the original custody agreement.
Bria, Biniyam’s ex-wife was served his petition on 6 October, and she requested a Writ Of Injunction one week later. The Writ of Injunction also was issued on the same day.
The injunction specifies that Biniyam is required to follow a set of conditions until the custody dispute has been resolved. The Writ prohibits Biniyam to perform the following:
- The minor child is picked up by a third party at any [redacted] school district property.
- It is illegal to schedule, attend, or participate in a Parent-Teacher Conference confer with any [redacted] employee of the School District, or allow a third party to do so without the respondent’s written consent.
- Posting, or allowing third parties to post, information about the minor child’s performance, experiences, or other aspects of his education on social media.
- Disclose or discuss information about the minor child’s performance, experience, or any other aspect of his or her education in television media. This includes but is not limited to 90 Day Fiance: The Other Way;
- Harassing or harassing the Respondent, or her husband [redacted], or interfering with their privacy or rights [redacted], up until the next order of said District Court.
A Mediation Certificate was filed on November 23, 2021. A trial is scheduled for October 26-27, this year.
Biniyam submitted an Affidavit of Financial Status on February 4, 2022, as part of custody proceedings. Biniyam states in the Affidavit he has less than $500 in assets and a monthly salary of $0.
The address of the man in the 90 Day Fiance episode that is currently airing appears to be the apartment complex Ariela’s family originally rented for them.
The Writ Of Injunction prevents Biniyam from discussing information about the life of his son Simon, but I do not believe that it restricts Biniyam’s ability to petition for custody. Watch 90-Day Fiance Sundays at 8/7c to find out if this topic will be covered in the upcoming season! Subscribe to Discovery+ and you can watch the new episodes one day earlier!